12/17/2019- A joint effort between Marinette and Menominee aims to protect the shoreline of the bay from further erosion and damage. Monday both Marinette’s Water Utility Commission and the Menominee City Council approved an emergency project to install additional rip rap at Marinette’s inlet facility, Tourist Beach, and a portion of Harbor Drive. The project was awarded to Barley Excavating at a cost of around $65000. Menominee will pay 40% of that while Marinette will be responsible for the other 60%. Menominee City Manager Tony Graff says it’s not only the high water level that’s causing problems, but the increased wave action that comes with it.
Both the Army Corps of Engineers and Michigan’s Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy have identified the work as a priority and expedited the permitting process so the project could be done as quickly as possible. Graff says the project will not only prevent further erosion now, but should provide protection for the shoreline there even if conditions get worse.
The rip rap project is expected to get underway within the next week and should only take three to four days to complete.