Ice shanties help keep anglers warm and out of the cold during the winter, while also giving anglers on the ice a better view of their hole. Permanent ice shanties, or those not removed daily, must be removed from all state waters by March 15. Early deadlines, such as those for inland and boundary waters, are:
- Wisconsin—Iowa boundary waters by Feb. 20
- Wisconsin—Minnesota boundary waters by March 1
- Inland waters south of Highway 64 by the first Sunday following March 1
- Lake Michigan, Green Bay, Lake Superior, and inland waters north of Highway 64 by the first Sunday following March 12
- Wisconsin—Michigan boundary waters by March 15
Owners having difficulties removing their shanty should seek help from their local fishing club, vendors, and other anglers. The public should report any shanty owners not taking responsibility for removing their shanty to the DNR Violation Hotline by calling or texting 1-800-TIP-WNDR or 1-800-847-9367.