Marinette County Sheriff Jerry Sauve says the explosion was reported around 8:50am at a residence at Payette Road and Bombers Road in the Town of Niagara. Many people several miles away heard the explosion. At the time of the explosion, a couple in their 50s from the Milwaukee area was inside the mobile home. Responders were able to speak with the male victim who reported he was attempting to light the propane furnace which had gone out. The couple, whose names have not been released, were seriously injured including severe burns and taken to Dickinson County Memorial Hospital in Iron Mountain. The mobile home was a total loss and a garage and its contents were also severely damaged. At this point, the investigation into the fire in on-going but no foul play is suspected.
The Niagara Fire Department, Niagara Rescue Squad, Integrity Care Paramedics, Dickinson County Sheriff’s Officers and WE Energies all assisted at the scene.