This week’s warmer temperatures are a nice break from the bitter cold, but they could present a dangerous situation to the natural gas equipment at Wisconsin Public Service (WPS) customers’ homes.


Melting snow and ice can slide off a roof and damage a home’s natural gas meter, which can cause a loss of service or a gas leak. Use recommended tools, such as a roof rake, to remove snow buildup from the roof to help prevent this damage from happening.


Icicles pose another problem. When the temperatures are mild, icicles start dripping. A wet natural gas meter isn’t a problem, but an ice covered one is — and that’s what happens when the temperature drops again.


To avoid problems:

·         Remove snow from areas above natural gas equipment.

·         Remove icicles that may drip water onto the meter.

·         Don’t kick or hit the meter to break away built-up snow or ice.

·         Use a broom to gently brush snow and melted ice off the meter.


If you smell a natural gas odor, leave the house immediately and call the WPS natural gas emergency number at 800-450-7280.